Monday, February 12, 2007

Dubai in colour


Well here it is as promised, Dubai in colour. Initially I'd scanned the line drawing in and tried to colour it in digitally, but I got quite bored and wasn't enjoying the process at all. I think it may be because there are so many elements to this picture. Half way through I gave up and opted to try watercolours - something I haven't really done and have very little confidence in, but I thought, "gotta start sometime!". And so I did... I didn't want to spoil the original drawing (and it was on too thin a paper), so I printed out the scanned line drawing on to watercolour paper.

There are lots of things I'm not happy with, but for a first attempt, its passable. At least I've got into using watercolours and I can explore more. If only someone would have told me earlier that the printer ink is NOT waterproof!

8 comments:

in the city of light said...

great - i think it works in watercolour .. good job.

Kerstin Klein said...

well done.

caseytoussaint said...

I like it, the color adds a lot.

Anonymous said...

The watercolor washes are wonderful! I find that I can't leave a sketch unpainted - my favorite part is adding color.

Anonymous said...

Mithi! Well done. Loving it. xx

jill said...

well, i'm not a watercolorist -- but i think it looks great. good job -- especially for a first one!

Unknown said...

This is a really interesting grid composition, and you did really well with painting it. I enjoyed reading about your process, and what you thought about Dubai.

Deborah said...

Oh I love this. I like the configuration of your boxes and the white line borders. What a wonderful subject. Thanks for sharing.