Wednesday, March 05, 2008

HANDcrafted


So this is my response to last Thursday's homework. I sat down and drew lots of crafting people and hands based on the photos I'd taken on Monday night at the stitch'n'bitch group, and was playing around with the hands and have come up with what you see above. I was trying to give it the feeling of a lot of activity - because, honestly, that IS what it looked like - a flurry of active hands making things! If you look carefully there is a cutter, two knitters, and three crocheters ... (click on the picture to enlarge to a better view). I quite like how the original sketches came out as well but I haven't managed to take decent scans of them - they are quite light, having been done with a 3H pencil on some off-white paper. Sunshine says there is a possibility that he can take photographs, although that has to wait till daylight ... so I'll try and upload some photos tomorrow of the original drawings.

My intention had also been to make a kind of poster-thing to advertise the group; using fabric and sewing as part of the drawing - didn't have time to do that, but I think that is definitely something I'm going to have go at over Easter. Anyone out there can give me tips on freehand sewing machine drawing?

EDIT: I think I wasn't very clear with my question (thank you for your drawing of a sewing machine though Shirley!). I have my own sewing machine (well, I have Sunshine's one). I would like to learn how to 'draw' using a sewing machine - freehand stitching I think its called? Like these three illustrators do. The mobile I received as part of the swap had some too - maybe I should ask its maker for some tips...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mithi,
Love the hands. Here is my sketch of my Bernina sewing machine. If it is useful to you as a model, please use it.

http://www.paperandthreads.com/2006/08/post_11.php

Shirley
http://www.paperandthreads.com

sue bulmer said...

Hi Mithi

Before I even read your post I thought to myself that this piece would look AMAZING stitched!! Great minds think alike!
For free machining you will be better off buying a freemachining foot for your machine (mine cost about £25) but was well worth it! Just have a play, it's dead easy, and doesn't take long to master. I use mine second nature now, have just finished some machine stitched wedding cards. Good luck and can't wait to see how it turns out. If you have any questions get in touch and I'll try to help (altho I'm no expert!)

Adele said...

Gorgeous love! Love your one about learning to crochet, too. My gran taught me when I was 14. I LOVE it! Something useful to do with your hands on long car rides.

Anonymous said...

Mithi,
I have done that type of "sketching" with my sewing machine. To mark the drawing, I use a washout blue marking pen. Then for the sewing machine, put down the feed dogs and get a quilting or darning foot. Some folks use a large embroidery hoop to keep the fabric stretched. I've down it with and without. The machine embroidery threads are recommended, but I usually test whatever I have.

You really need to practice to learn how to control the speed you use to move the fabric - and learn how to keep the stitch lengths reasonably constant.

Hope this helps a little.
Shirley

Gesa said...

The drawing's great - yes, definitely a lot of activity movement. It's a nice too since it's different types of activities. I like the sketching for it too.
I'd seen some free machining life drawing at a workshop a while back - it looks like great fun, so I'm curious what you'll be doing

Tiara said...

I can hear the click clack of the knitting needles as I saw your picture :)kw

Claudine said...

Very weird, Mithi; but I think kizmet is at play. I was just thinking that some sewing would be a good addition to a painting I am beginning; but after a couple tries I was a little frustrated. I'm glad you asked around, I found the ideas of your readers useful. Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Unknown said...

ooo I like this one, nice layering of hands and kind of graceful.

E-J said...

I feel a bit of an idiot for not noticing this entry when you originally posted it, but it is terrific! I'm a novice crocheter/knitter (though haven't found much time for my yarn since the Every Day in May challenge began) and I love the creative frenzy you've suggested with the overlapping hands.