Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Happy Mag ...

So what were all those kids and bicycles about?


My submission for the Anorak Mag cover design competition...

Its OK, but I feel quietly dissatisfied with the outcome ...

Things I've learnt:
1. I LOVE making - and the 2D-3D crossover
2. BUT it takes a LONG TIME ...
3. And can be a whole lot of frustrating (lucky for me to have the best husband in the world and his collection of camera and lighting equipment)
4. Will go back to plain 'ol 2D and bring the scissors and glue out only for special occasions ...

Set up - oh yes, those laboratory clamps come in handy ...


7 comments:

d e b b i e said...

AMAZING!!

Emma said...

I love it! Especially the smiley sun, and the waterfall! Hope it does well in the competition.

Zara said...

Wow, great work!

I think the image inside the thought bubble is very strong - it's a really fun style and visually striking with the bold colours against the white background. I reckon it's something which you could even replicate using Photoshop cunning, without being 3D (thus eliminating time frustrations :D).

I think you're onto something with that 'ANORAK' typography, too, it works well as part of the overall image.

Good luck with the comp!

Jennifer said...

Very Cute and really love the set up! Good Luck

Anonymous said...

i like it, do you do these competitions on top of your uni work or do you do them as part of your modules?

littlemithi said...

Bett, Definitely on top of!

Although a lot of the 3rd year you can justify doing competitions as "self directed work".

And in the second year - the Lloyds comp was part of a module (you had to do it even if you didn't want to!) and some of us did a book for Macmillan as part of the Visual naratives option.

Hope things are going OK for you - the second year, first semester is quite hard going .... but trust me, if you can survive that, then it all starts coming together after and its much more of an enjoyable ride!

Lucy said...

I think it is so pretty. Children would love this... what a wonderful world you've created.