Friday, March 05, 2010

Polishhhhhhhh...

So this is what I've been working on for the last week or so. My friend and lovely Polish studio-mate, Malgosia (Malgorzata), found a Polish children's book illustration competition. You could do your own story, or go for one of the texts they provided. Considering I only started on this about 2 weeks ago, I went for one of their texts, kindly translated by Malgosia. The title is "12 Months" and each double page spread is a month with an accompanying little poem. Each one is also about a job/vocation ... We had to do the cover and two double page spreads. I chose to do January (the forester) and September (the fisherman). (click on images for larger version)

The colours are more muted from what I usually do, but I'm quite pleased with how they came out. It feels like things are finally falling into place and coming together.

I actualy started doing a dimensional version of 'January' but realised it would take too long to do all three pieces that way and have them done and posted off by the deadline. I'm still quite keen to do January and September like that ... but will take my time over it. So watch this space!

4 comments:

Charlotte Cooke said...

Mithi, I absolutely ADORE THIS!!! Nice job xx

d e b b i e said...

these are REALLY good!
love the colours, and the compositions, AND the calender&leaves on the cover! beautiful.

sharm said...

mithi, i love this! the colours are lovely and i love the overall look and style. have you given it a name - doing a mithi?!

Bitterjug said...

Lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely